My artistic residency at Lijiang Studio is coming to an end. Tomorrow is my last full day and last chance to make some fieldrecordings in rural Yunnan. Fridaymorning I may witness a Dongba ritual, in the afternoon I’ll be flying to Shanghai for an extended weekend of fieldrecording in a urban environment. Next Tuesday I’ll be crossing the Pacific Ocean direction Montalvo Arts, California, USA for my second artist residency this summer.
• Click here for pics from my travels to Beijing, Lijiang, Lashihai, Dali, Shaxi & Shanghai (July/August 2017)
• Read here more about Asia On Tape, an offspring of my ongoing project Africa On Tape
Globalization and telecommunication at its best ! Today Vincent Meessen and me had a talk about the exhibition Patterns for (Re)cognition at Radio Klara (VRT). Vincent live from the radio studio in Brussels. And me – via the phone – live from Lijiang Studio Yunnan, rural China, lower Himalayas (Yes, flew almost directly from East-Africa to East Asia. Here right now in an absolutely fabulous residency run by Jay Brown & curated by Crystal Pascucci). Vincent and me were talking about Tshela Tendu’s pioneering Congolese modern art in the 1930’s, Tshela Tendu’s one time accidental meeting with Jan Vansina in the 1950’s. In case u missed it, here a link to the radio interview (in Dutch).
My art practice will be featured in three new publications this year.
• There’s Bozar (Center for Fine Arts, Brussels) who’s publishing a new book on September 8th, featuring a.o my collaboration with Vincent Meessen for the current Bozar exhibition Patterns for (Re)cognition. A 2nd book presentation will be held on Sept 20th in MACBA, Barcelona.
• Errant Bodies Press (Berlin) is preparing the new book publication the other the self , expected upcoming autumn. curated by Q-02
• Q-02 (Brussels) published Tales of Sonic Displacement (June 2017). Read it online or order a print copy via email@example.com [ free, but shipping not included – more info here ]
click here for new photos from my travels to Rwanda, D.R. Congo and Uganda, june/july 2017